Windows Live Messenger and IP Addresses

Drusen 09:06 08 Jun 2008

Is it necessary to have a static IP address to use Windows Live Messenger or will a dynamic one be okay?

Also, with Messenger, is it possible to have video and audio together or do you have to type your messages?

Thanks.

Drusen 09:50 08 Jun 2008

Thanks for your response. I'll have to wait and see if changes to the router's settings need to be made. There are usually teething problems!

Drusen 12:10 08 Jun 2008

Thanks. That all makes sense. I have a BT Voyager 210 router, but I expect the input data (MSN (TCP/UDP) ports 6891-6901) will be the same.

Drusen 14:35 08 Jun 2008

Thanks again :-)

Technotiger 14:46 08 Jun 2008

Hi, interesting reading, I did not realise all that caffuffel was needed in order to use Win Live Messenger. Surely anyone wanting to video-chat World-wide would be much better off using Skype, without all that fuss. JMO....

Technotiger 19:40 08 Jun 2008

Hi Marg7, not yet tried out Skype - Wow, I thoroughly recommend Skype, I use it a lot to video-chat with my son in Lanzarote, relatives in the States and friends in Zanzibar, Tanzania, not to mention UK of course too. And there is much more to it than just straightforward video-chat, give it a go, I doubt you'd be disappointed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?