Windows Live messenger

ableseas 09:19 11 Oct 2006

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had any bad experiences with Windows Live messenger.I'm asking this as my brother is advocating this so we can communicate with each other more often as we dont get to see each other like we use to.
I'm just wondering if its easy for hackers to gain entry to your PC etc etc and any other dubious problems(like Microsoft keeping an eye on your activities etc).Are there any other things I should look out for?
Thanks to your reply's in advance.

Ptolemy 09:31 11 Oct 2006

Are asking with regard to first time use of a messenger application or about upgrading from the previous version of Messenger.

If you're asking about the first point you'll have to wait for someone that's more security smart to answer about hackers (although I'd have thought a good firewall would overcome that problem), but messengers are very effective ways to communicate. A cheap microphone and speakers turns messengers into free (except for the costs of internet conmnection) phone calls and files transmitted from one user to another. Try it and if you don't like it give up.

If you mean upgrading - I can't see any great advantage between Messenger live and the previous (MSN Messenger 7.5, I think) except the "Shared Folder" which means that anything you put in the folder is sent to all other online contacts - I'd say you might as well just send the files manually unless it's a workplace thing.

terryf 10:07 11 Oct 2006

I and my brother in Ottawa had mega problems when we 'upgraded' to the latest Messenger. We went back to Messenger 7.5 and enjoy solid webcam conversations. click here

johnnyrocker 10:09 11 Oct 2006

plenty of other messengers available, yahoo,eyeball,skype, to name a few and there are no doubt many more.

johnny.

ableseas 16:31 11 Oct 2006

Thanks for your input folks,I shall give MSN 7.5 a go and go from there.

kimosabi 21:53 11 Oct 2006

ableseas
My brother in Perth Australia and myself in uk have been using msn messeger for the last few years and updated to messenger live when it came out and we have not had any problems at all and we view and chat to each other everyday I and him think it's great so good luck to you and your brother have a happy time
regards
kimo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?