Windows Live messenger 2009

Condom 11:00 17 Jan 2009

I have just upgraded my Live Messenger from V8.5 to 2009 and all my contacts have disappeared. Every other time I have upgraded messenger in the past my contacts have been automatically updated as well.

When I tried to manually reinstall the few I can remember it is refusing to enter them without sending off e-mails requesting permissions and even after permission is granted I still cannot install the contact.

There seems to be no direct help for this version.

Is anyone else finding this problem and managed to find a way out of it?

birdface 11:12 17 Jan 2009

I removed my version of windows messenger completely last week.And installed the 2009 version.it came with all my contacts intact.But since then I found that I still have an old version of Windows messenger still on my computer.Version 4.7 so maybe my contacts were copied from there.Don't know where that version came from ,It must have been part of XP Home when new.

birdface 11:31 17 Jan 2009

Maybe try here.looks like they may be able to recover your contacts for you. click here

Condom 06:48 19 Jan 2009

Thanks buteman but everything to no avail. It looks like this new version 9 is as buggy as most of Microsoft's new programs. Every time they try to make something better they seem to break the basics along the way.

Microsoft were no help at all so I found the perfect solution and uninstalled it. I then reinstalled version 8.5 and got all my contacts back automatically. What a farce.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?