Windows live mail stopped working

PIE THROWER 09:00 02 Apr 2010

Hi - I have just bought a Vaio laptop with Windows 7 installed. I set up to use Windows live mail and mail is received no worries.

However if I try to forward/send a message then a box come stating live mail has stopped working and the only option is to close it altogether.

I reinstalled it but has had no effect - any ideas (please! I want to be cheap and avoid getting Outlook.)

birdface 09:16 02 Apr 2010

Maybe try it from here.

click here

Sea Urchin 10:16 02 Apr 2010

I think you are confusing Windows Live Mail (a descendant of Outlook Express that is downloaded to your computer) and the web based Windows Live Hotmail or LiveMail.

birdface 10:21 02 Apr 2010

Not sure what the difference is but that gets me into Windows Live mail.
I downloaded mine with Windows Messenger.

Sea Urchin 10:26 02 Apr 2010

As it says at the top of the signing in box on your link - Sign in to the Windows Live WEBSITE. That is web based mail.

PIE THROWER 10:37 02 Apr 2010

Really confused - I am refering to the pre installed livemail client bundled with Windows 7 which only receives and can't send.

I want a desktop setup (as came with Vista) - I have never wanted/needed web based sign in type getups. As I have said why can I only receive and not send ?

birdface 10:47 02 Apr 2010

Not got a clue.I can use it to get to my Windows Live Mail.
If I put my e-mail address and password in and press Mail when it opens.
It gives me all of my mail.
So like I said I am still not sure of the difference.
Is there different versions of Windows Live mail.
I don't use a Hotmail address but an MSN Address.
It takes me straight to my e-mail account.
I take it I am just being a bit thick again.

Sea Urchin 10:48 02 Apr 2010

Sorry to have "confused" your thread - it will probably be to do with your SMTP server setting. Go to Tools - Accounts - Properties - Servers tab and check the outgoing server setting - must be that of your ISP regardless of which account it is.

Sea Urchin 10:54 02 Apr 2010
  birdface 11:12 02 Apr 2010

Now I can see why I was confused and still am.
Will you do me a favour and check my click here at 9.16 and tell me if it shows my e-mail address.
I used it to see if it got me into my Windows live e-mail address and every time I open it it my e-mail address shows .
I tried rebooting but still the same.
Is it just showing for me or does it show for everyone.

Thanks.

Sea Urchin 11:15 02 Apr 2010

No it's blank for anybody else - it only shows on your computer because of the Windows Live cookie on your system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache