Windows Live Mail - Orange Problem

Legslip 10:37 30 Jan 2011

Trying to set up a friends email on their new netbook and cant send. Incoming is OK. Any ideas?

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'testing'
Server: 'smtp.orangehome.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10060

northumbria61 10:47 30 Jan 2011

You must have a wrong setting for "outgoing" - check your settings here click here

Legslip 11:00 30 Jan 2011

Thans Northumbria but have checked the settings many times and all correct. Think it might be a LiveMail/Orange issue?

mgmcc 11:16 30 Jan 2011

If you're setting up a friend's Netbook, are you doing so while connected via his *ORANGE* broadband connection?

You won't be able to send via the Orange SMTP server if using your ISP and it is different.

Legslip 11:24 30 Jan 2011

Well mgmcc you may have hit the nail! I have his netbook at home and connected via my Virgin BBand. Are you saying that if all the settings are correct, when I return the netbook and logon at his address it should work?

northumbria61 11:39 30 Jan 2011

YEP !

Legslip 11:43 30 Jan 2011

Well, I'm taking it back later today so I'll let you know. Thanks!!

mgmcc 11:43 30 Jan 2011

Yes, if the settings are correct, mail should send OK when connected to the internet via Orange. At the moment, while connected with your Virgin service, you would need to send mail using Virgin's SMTP server, even if retrieving mail from Orange's POP3 server and regardless of the address used in outgoing messages.

Legslip 01:04 31 Jan 2011

Thanks people, dead right. Connected to his Orange router and BINGO, emails send OK. Thanks for the assist.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?