Windows Live Mail log-in problems

tallboy 23:09 17 Dec 2010

I run 64-bit Windows 7 on my PC. Yesterday the Microsoft update service loaded on 12 updates and I fear that one of them may be the cause of the following problem.

More often than not, when I start up Windows Live Mail 2011 and try and download messages from my Tiscali account, I get the following message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Tiscali Broadband account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR proxy authentication failed
Server: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

Does anyone recognise the Windows Live Mail Error ID 0x800ccc92?

How do I fix the problem? If I power down the PC, when I re-start I can usually pick up my messages - but not always.

The only other thing I can think of is there a message limit (quantity or overall memory needed) for Windows Live Mail? I do have a lot of messages, many with attachments (some of which are quite large) The properties for Live Mail are:

3.40 GB for all files
Size of disk: 3.48 GB (I can't understand why this is so low - there is 392GB of free space on the C drive)
44,170 files
1063 Folders

If the problem is a capacity one, how do I increase the size of the disk beyond 3.48GB - or is this a limit set by Live Mail?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Tallboy

minilite 09:21 18 Dec 2010

Go into Accounts properties Server and check that the Authenticate box is ticked.

tallboy 10:55 18 Dec 2010

Thanks for the response minilite. The 'Log on using clear text authentication' was ticked, but the outgoing server authentication was not. I have now ticked this to use the same info as the incoming mail.

However, since the problem was downloading in-bound mail, I fear the problem may lie elsewhere.

I have also cleared out some files to reduce the overall size of Windows Live Mail - it is now down to 3.13GB. I will endeavour to reduce it further later today.

iscanut 11:42 18 Dec 2010

If all else fails, I would recommend Thunderbird as an email client. It is very good
click here

tallboy 20:38 18 Dec 2010

Thanks for the tip iscanut. I have heard other good reports about Thunderbird. Certainly since Windows Live Mail was 'upgraded' to the 2011 edition, it is a LOT slower to start up. (This is so on my 11-month old high-performance Eclipse desktop and my wife's 11-month old Dell Studio machines.)

iscanut 11:38 24 Dec 2010

Resolved ?

Sea Urchin 12:50 24 Dec 2010

... and this one?

click here

tallboy 20:04 24 Dec 2010

Hi iscanut

I have tried Thunderbird briefly, but haven't switched over to it. I'll perservere with fixing Windows Live Mail a bit longer before ditching it completely.

iscanut 20:17 24 Dec 2010

No need to ditch it, just decide which to use as the default email client. Have a great Christmas whatever you do.

tallboy 22:37 25 Dec 2010

This problem is a real patience-stretcher! If I log in & download emails from my Tiscali account using my wife's PC (via Windows Live Mail) everything is fine. If I then try (with her PC off) the same thing on my PC, (using the same router) I get the messages if I have started up the PC from 'cold' but when I have downloaded all the messages, the POP3 server hangs, causing a POP3 lock. As as result I can't get any further messages (or send any) until I have switched the PC off and re-started.

I have tried setting up a completely new user account and also moving all my emails to a safe place, un-installing Windows Live Mail and then re-installing it, but neither drastic move solved the problem. Thunderbird had the same problem.

There is obviously something 'beyond' Windows Live Mail that is not resetting after the last message has been received, thus causing the POP3 lock up. Hopefully someone technical who reads this will know where and what it is and tell us how to fix it!

Condom 00:51 26 Dec 2010

There appears to be a lot of teething problems with the new Windows Live 2011 Suite. Their help site is full of complaints of various problems as well as many gripes about some of the changes made from the 2009 Version which users do not like. Never before have I seen Microoft recommending that people go back to the older version if they do not like the changes. So something is wrong but having said that they have already fixed many of the problems and I'm sure they are working on the others so perhaps it might be best if you went directly to their help line and ask their techies to look at your problem to see if they know about it already or have a solution to it.

While you are there you could also add to my gripe about the scenes picture beig obliterated by a new Share Something New Box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires