Windows live mail

highside 08:37 22 Oct 2009

Do users of windows mail have to sign in every time they use it?
I downloaded it (and gave it up in frustration) because (even though I thought I was elected to remain signed in) it logged me out when I used things like CC & file clean ups.
In Windows Mail I go straight to my mailbox just by clicking on mail? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Technotiger 08:42 22 Oct 2009

Using CC or similar will remove all your Cookies which are needed to 'remember' your earlier settings. I don't use CC, but I believe there is a box to tick (or untick) to prevent losing your important cookies.

highside 08:55 22 Oct 2009

Thanks but I havent ticked anything in Win Mail which I have had for donkeys years will look at the menu, or are you saying that Live Mail needs a lower security level?

birdface 09:23 22 Oct 2009

Maybe try .Tools.Options.Security.Make sure ask for a password is unticked.See if that helps.

highside 10:11 22 Oct 2009

Just realized that there is a
Win Live 'Hotmail' maybe I got into that unknowingly and not the other version.

highside 18:22 23 Oct 2009

Yes Marg7 that was my problem. Have installed Live Mail now is there an easy way of completely transferring Win mail contacts and messages into Live Mail.
I added my original account to Live succesfully as far as adding an account goes but thats all, how do I shut down the old program and have mail directed to Live, presently it goes to the old box.
Sorry if these are stupid questions.
I thought that most email programmes made it easy to import but cant see how in Live.

highside 13:01 24 Oct 2009

Thanks have got everthing except 'contacts' sorted.
(nb there is a link at bottom of email page for adding addresses and it does work)

The procedure for adding contacts works for me only up to a point. Firstly select contacts and at top of that page you click on 'menu' and select 'import'
You have a choice of five import extensions none work for me including csv.
When I try to open with any of them the message appears to say that there is nothing in the file I point at even though my contacts are still there in Win Mail.
Have tried at all levels of the windows mail folder.

Sea Urchin 13:23 24 Oct 2009

You need to first export the Contacts from Windows Mail in .csv format - see Backing Up Contacts on this link:

click here

You could export them to the Desktop for easy access, then import from there into WLM in .csv format. (Open Contacts - File - Import)

TonyV 13:48 24 Oct 2009

Try this.

click here=

TonyV

highside 13:48 24 Oct 2009

Thanks all now completed after above procedures.
resolved

TonyV 13:50 24 Oct 2009

The click here seems to have gone pear shaped. If you click on Help in Live Mail and search for Import Contacts you will come up with a page that will help you.

Cheers

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017