Windows Licence Query

Legslip 13:09 01 Dec 2009

I have just purchased a full version of Win 7. My PC currently has XP Pro on board. If I reformat my HD and install Win 7, will I be able to use my XP Pro disk and Prod Key on another PC?

woodchip 13:17 01 Dec 2009

No

woodchip 13:19 01 Dec 2009

If you mean sell it you can sell it as long as its not on another computer. If the Pro CD is a oem that you got with Computer then NO

GaT7 13:30 01 Dec 2009

For sale or not, as woodchip says:

If XP Pro is an OEM version, then NO. As the license 'dies' with the original PC it was installed on.

If XP Pro is a retail version, then YES. It can be installed & activated on any one PC/laptop at any given time. G

Legslip 13:31 01 Dec 2009

Thanks Woodchip. It's not OEM so if I remove it from my PC, can I then give it to a pal who is getting a Windows message that tells him his XP Pro is illegal? This would be the only PC it is installed on.

woodchip 13:38 01 Dec 2009

Yes

GaT7 13:41 01 Dec 2009

Yes, you can. He may need to reinstall afresh though using your XP product key, but there are ways around this that might work - e.g. click here (similar MSKB alternative click here) & click here. G

woodchip 13:42 01 Dec 2009

He would be better of running a repair Using the X Pro CD and put the new key in after, that mean booting with the CD in choose setup let windows search for OS the click the OS and press R to Repair

Legslip 13:42 01 Dec 2009

Thanks good people. I will see if I can get him 'out of jail'!

GaT7 13:47 01 Dec 2009

That XP key modifier software will be the easiest method - that's if it works like it should. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?