Windows Licence Number?

Mark-323050 12:40 31 Aug 2003

I have a friend who is running Windows ME. The upshot is that they bought it 2 and a bit years ago from a catalogue company. He's been having trouble with it for a few weeks now crashing refusing to work on certain programs. He's asked me to have a look at it for him and look towards possibly re-formatting it. The trouble is that they never supplied a licence key number with his purchase.
I've been told that it is possible to get that information off the computer so I would be able to re-install with my copy of ME and his licence number - is this so?
Any help gratefully accepted.

-pops- 12:51 31 Aug 2003

You can find out you product key from Aida32 click here

Look under Operating System.

It may be all a waste of time though depending on how the ME is installed in your friend's computer and how that compares with your version.

Mark-323050 13:02 31 Aug 2003

"It may be all a waste of time though depending on how the ME is installed in your friend's computer and how that compares with your version."

How so?

expertec 13:09 31 Aug 2003

The licence number is shown in system properties

-pops- 13:26 31 Aug 2003

If your friend's version is installed from a "recovery" system (or whatever other euphemism was used to avoid giving a full version of ME) which has all sorts of hidden files etc., this may well stop you installing from any other sources, including a genuine ME disk. Even if you manage to install your version there is a good chance that the code from the old system is not valid on the one you have just installed.

Didn't you friend get an O/S disk of any kind with his machine? I know it's practice now now to always give disks but I thought in the days of ME, a disk was always supplied.

-pops- 13:29 31 Aug 2003

Be careful not to confuse license numbers and product keys. A product key is required to install Windows ME in a working condition.

Forum Editor 14:08 31 Aug 2003

the operating system using your friend's licence and your software copy. He will have an OEM installation, and the licence details will not apply to your retail version.

Mark-323050 14:55 31 Aug 2003

Many thanks for all the help. I will post how I get on with it. My copy of Windows ME is a OEM version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone