Windows and the Law

barabbus 21:24 05 Jan 2004

could anybody help - Would I be breaking the law if I sold a PC with Windows Pre-Installed but without the actual Windows CD ...?

LeadingMNMs 21:26 05 Jan 2004

Probably, since you could then use the CD to install another copy of Windows, thus one would not have a lisence. If your just selling to a friend I see no problem.

woodchip 21:35 05 Jan 2004

No it's up to the buyer to have a licence, But you would be breaking the law if you ran the OS on your own comp if you had soled it to some one else. The licence states the if you sell the software you should remove it from your system. It should only be run on one system at any one time

caterpilla 21:41 05 Jan 2004

but like who will ever know or be petty enough to bother its one of those silly rarely enforced laws like not keeping rec from telly home videos for more than 24 hours. (as long as your not profiting of course)

DieSse 22:16 05 Jan 2004

You definately would be breaking the terms of the agreement you have made with Microsoft.

It's not up to the buyer - you have made an agreement with MS, and it's terms prohibit you from doing what you suggest.

And I can't see the point - it would be doing the buyer no favours, and you are further prohibited from installing it on another system.

mammak 22:25 05 Jan 2004

Wait up here barabbus said it was a pre installed windows he might not have a disc' i havent' so is he breaking the law was the question no' pre installed no disc (only recover disc your breaking no law')

DieSse 22:31 05 Jan 2004

I presumed he must have the CD - or wouldn't need to ask the question!

Djohn 22:35 05 Jan 2004

As DieSse says, for windows to be installed to the machine in the first instance, then there has to be a disk somewhere, full O/S or recovery disk.

lotvic 01:14 06 Jan 2004

Is it XP or 98se?

'cos microsoft are no longer interested in 98se and are about to withdraw all support for it and you can buy a new or seconhand 98se CD very cheap on Ebay (£20) if you haven't made a 'backup copy' (you are allowed to make one backup for your own use under the licence terms)

if it's XP then one of you wouldn't be able to Activate it on more than one pc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?