Windows Keeps Shutting When I Am Online

gcs_uk 07:44 14 Aug 2003

Every time I log onto the internet after a few minutes a small window appears which says Windows is going to shut down and this his been authorised by the NT Authority System. It then goes onto say that the Remote Procedure Call service (RPC) was terminated unexpectedly.

A small clock is also present counting down from 60 seconds to the actual time that windows will shut down.

This happens every time I am online and only started about 2-3 days ago.

I am running Windows XP and access the net via Pipex broadband connection.

Taff36 07:49 14 Aug 2003

This problem is down to a virus and has been well logged on the helpline. Don`t panic. Help will be on the way but try a search on this site for "Remote procedure call" and you should start to seee some suggestions.

Stuartli 07:53 14 Aug 2003

Full information here:

click here

Jester2K II 08:43 14 Aug 2003

Download Stinger and scan withn it to remove the virus. click here

Then go to MS Site and get the patch click here

gcs_uk 09:19 14 Aug 2003

Thanks for all your help and assistance.

I updated AVG and it immediately detected the virus. I only updated it last week so I suppose I will now have to grudgingly concede that viruses do pose a problem. I was always of the opinon before that viruses only happened to people who didnt take care as to what emails they opened or what sites they visited. I hang my head in shame and embarrasment.

Followed all your advice and it now seems that the virus has been nullified as I am no longer having the problems.

Once again thankyou everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache