Windows IP configuration

anglefish 21:25 19 May 2008

Arggggggggg....fed up...I have just bought a new PC a Dell Optiplex 330 with Windows XP. However I cannot get the PC to recognize/see the router. However the router is working OK as my laptop is connecting OK. When I do a cmd prompt on ipconfig the message I get is: Windows IP Configuation
An internal error occurered: The request is not supported.
Pleae contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.
Additional information: Unable to query host name.
If I try to ping the router it says: Unable to contact IP Driver. Error Code 2.
My isp is orange.
Any help would be appreciated or should I return the computer to Dell?

beeuuem 21:41 19 May 2008

Are you connecting by ethernet or wireless?
Have you installed the relevant drivers, if needed.
Do you have any question marks in device manager?

T0SH 21:48 19 May 2008

Try the XP WinSock fix from here (direct download)

click here

It has fixed loads of network connection problems for me and even if it does not work it will do no harm, but if you are the worrying type set a restore point before you use it

Cheers HC

anglefish 22:13 19 May 2008

I am trying to connect by ethernet (NB the laptop connects ok by wireless and a old borrowed PC connects OK by ethernet). The only device driver with a question mark is the scanner and I can't update due to no intenet access! Shouldn't need any drivers. Router is Netgear.

anglefish 22:18 19 May 2008

how do I do a restore point tosh?

hiwatt 22:25 19 May 2008

Have you tried running the network set up wizard.Go to internet options/connections/setup and then connect to internet.

beeuuem 23:21 19 May 2008

1/ try reinstalling the TCP/IP
Navigate to: C:\windows\inf

Find the File: nettcpip.inf

Right click the file and choose install
or
2/
Try uninstalling the ethernet adapter in device manager and rebooting. this will prompt XP to reinstall the ethernet card and the associated settings.

Ashrich 23:35 19 May 2008

Try resetting the TCP/IP stack from a command point , start/run/CMD , press enter . From the command prompt type in ...netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt , press enter , then type in exit and once more press enter . Reboot the PC and try accessing the Internet again .

Ashley

anglefish 21:01 21 May 2008

ended up calling Dell support and having to reinstall Windows XP. Still having problems with connecting my external hard drive which the new PC sometimes finds but other times comes up with "The specified I/O Operation on \Device\Harddisk2\DR15 was not completed before the time out period expired. Any ideas if this is a problem with the external hard disk or with the new PC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone