Windows Installer problems after upgrading to XP

edwagara 10:34 01 Mar 2003

I have upgraded my OS from Win98 to XP Home Edition & I have several problems. I cannot install my new Office XP software or software for my Ipod & I cannot uninstall software. I keep receiving the following error message:
The Windows Istaller Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.
I have tried restoring back to 98 & then reinstalling XP, but the same thing happens.
Can anybody help?
Thanks in advance.

Lozzy 12:35 01 Mar 2003

Did you upgrade or did you do a Full installation of XP?

If upgrade then carry out a full Installation and alter the file system to NTFS. This will cure your issue and also avoid many others.

edwagara 15:58 03 Mar 2003

Thanks Lozzy. I did a complete new full Installation & changed file system to NTFS & I can now install other software. However, I can see all my previously installed software on Windows Explorer, but cannot get the Program Files to appear on the start menu. I cannot find appropriate box to tick to get it to appear. Any help??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?