Windows Installer problem

Esc4p3 20:33 01 Oct 2008

I use a Guitar tuition program called Music Coach. I installed this program (on Vista) last year and it has run fine ever since. About a week ago my wife complained of an error message that kept appearing when she logged on. We have 2 user accounts one for me, one for her. On my account everything was dandy, I could launch and use the program.

But on her account there is a Windows Installer error that says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". It then points to a folder called c:\users\wifename\appdata\local\temp\_isE2D5, and there is no such folder/subfolder as appdata. I do not understand this as if I run the program from my wifes account (and I have never done this before) it runs fine, but the error message is a real nuisance.

Can anyone please help, thanks Carl.

gary2112 21:11 01 Oct 2008

click on my computer then tools then click on folder options then view then click on show all hiden files then do a seach and see if you can find that file.if you do you must load windows into safe mode to remove this as windows will be useing this file.deleat the file do a full virus and spywere scan in safe mode of winows .becouse the problem is that most trojen and virus

Covergirl 22:03 01 Oct 2008

. . . which you can see if you "show hidden files and folders" through Tools, Folder Options in My Computer or Windows Explorer.

I get this type of message when a network drive share has been removed or renamed by system admin and it can't be found where the shortcut says it is.

If you can copy your shortcut which works to your wifes profile (possibly through admin login) and delete your wifes shortcut, you might find it works without the error message.

Anyone else any suggestions ?

Esc4p3 08:58 02 Oct 2008

Thanks, will try these tonight - both of our accounts are administrators so would have thought that appdata is viewable but perhaps my wife has not ticked the 'show hidden folders' where I have.

gary2112, The possibility of spyware is a worry, will download a free spyware prog (plenty to pick from in these forums) as I only use win defender.

Esc4p3 22:12 02 Oct 2008

OK, as you suspected the Appdata folder was hidden, however that did not help as the file the installer is pointing me to is not there. Have done another search, it is not on the PC at all.

I have installed superantispyware and Eusing registry cleaner. Found no spyware other than nearly 200 tracking cookies and nearly 1000 registry errors which are all now fixed, but this has not fixed the problem.

Need more help if anyone has any suggestions, they would be welcomed :-)

Esc4p3 09:05 03 Oct 2008

Done a bit more research and wondered whether this would be any help click here It is the 'official' windows installer clean up tool from Microsoft? Don't want to make things worse than they already are.....

Esc4p3 10:27 03 Oct 2008

C'mon guys, I'm supposed to be working, not fixing my own problems ;-)

I have downloaded the M$ windows installer clean up, and it seems to have done the trick. In fact it was a painless process in the end, the clean up tool downloads in a few seconds as it is very small, you then just select which installer item to clean up (there are various strong warnings at this point indicating that you are going to stop this program working) click next and bingo.

So at this point it seems to be fine, so am ticking resolved. Thanks for help anyways. Carl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?