Windows Installer Problem

Ciggybumly 12:55 09 Sep 2005

Hi

I have an AMD 64 2.2 with windows XP sp2. Recently my pc has developed a problem with windows installer. When I open windows search, and click the Folders and Files icon Windows Installer starts up and says "Preparing to install". If i leave it, it freezes the search window, and its the same when I cancel it. It seems to occur when windows is trying to load the search icons. I run Spybot and Ad-aware for spyware checking and im not sure if something has been removed.
Any help would be great

woodchip 13:02 09 Sep 2005

IF you have a XP disc, put in computer stop the setup running. Then in the Run box type SFC /Scannow note space before / then try a Windows update from the update icon on Start

Ciggybumly 13:05 09 Sep 2005

Cheers woodchip, ill have a go at that, any ideas what could have happend?

woodchip 13:11 09 Sep 2005

Sounds like a corrupt file, it may be as a result of fast CPU. It needs to be a XP disc not a Restore disc

Ciggybumly 13:18 09 Sep 2005

Ok, ive got the originals. I thought of just reinstalling windows as a solution but would rather find an easier solution. Thanks for the help

ACOLYTE 13:20 09 Sep 2005

Sounds to me like a reg entry has been corupted to point to the wrong place,maybe a system restore might help.

Ciggybumly 13:52 09 Sep 2005

Does windows Xp automatically have the system restore checked?

ACOLYTE 13:52 09 Sep 2005

Hmm, i think it is switched on by default,so it should be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?