"windows installer" -preparing to install (prob)

AllZwell 04:40 09 Feb 2007

Hello,

Everytime I click on just about everything, I get the message

"windows installer"

"preparing to install"

It also happens on boot up. And when I want to install a program - in fact, just about all the time!

Anyone know what I can do?

TIA

-AW

rawprawn 08:21 09 Feb 2007

Try a system file scan, go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (Watch the space between sfc and /) hit enter. You will need your XP CD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:52 09 Feb 2007

corrupt windows installer.

download a clean windown installer and just reinstall it. click here Good Luck!

AllZwell 21:13 12 Feb 2007

Thanks for replies, sorry about late respone.

The "sfc /snannow" keeps prompint me for Windows XP disk - which I have in - and says dll file not found rery etc. hmmm - not sure then.

Fruitbat, your link doesn't work. maybe I need an installer - but tried a few from micosoft website (3.1)

Stumped!!

AW

AllZwell 16:31 13 Feb 2007

...tried everything.

How do you do a "repair" from windows XP? (pro), because all it does on my pc is "set-up". Won't the installer be on the Windows XP CD somewhere? - maybe i could locate it and set it up from there.

TIA

AW

VoG II 16:35 13 Feb 2007
  AllZwell 18:35 13 Feb 2007

VoG, when I get to the "Windows set" up screen, i am greeted with a differernt one to this click here

It says: the following list shows the existing partitions ..(etc)

And a box below it with C partition etc, asking me to "C" create partition "D" delete one and "ENTER" to set up XP on it.

There is NO "R" for repair at all, so not sure.

Thanks all for help nevertheless.

AW

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:52 13 Feb 2007
  AllZwell 19:18 13 Feb 2007

Thanks Fruitbat, may have tried that one, but not sure whether it was 3 or 3.1. When it was installing, i had the prompt "Windows" installer" must be closed, do you wish to continue?, yes I answered, and although it installed, the problem was not gone.

Thanks

AW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017