Windows installer pop-up box

crespo 03:48 14 Nov 2006

Hey all! Crespo again.When i have a problem i make sure i get my money's worth! While waiting for my internet connection - dial-up - to do the biz this annoying pop-up appears:
Windows installer, preparing to instal and a timer of about a minute. I have genuine Windows XP home Edition installed over a year ago - no problems. the only thing i've installed recently is AVG Free anti-virus to replace my norton whose subscription expired. A subsequent scan revealed all-clear.
Anyone out there with any ideas? As always, any help will be v. appreciated.Cheers.C.

Ive 09:55 14 Nov 2006

You will find it is something left over from norton cos I had the same after I uninstalled norton via there online removal program and I tried for days to get rid of that box popping up.In the end I phoned Microsoft and they agreed to help me get rid free of charge as the box was saying Windows installer (normaly they would charge about £40 odd quid.)They spent about 45 mins on the phone with me sorting the problem and I have not had any more probs.

Strawballs 10:14 14 Nov 2006

Did you remove Norton using their online uninstaller?
click here

Ive 10:23 14 Nov 2006

Strawballs.I removed with online when I did my main pc which created this same problem.So when I removed Norton from my son and daughters laptops I did it via add remove in control panel and did not get the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?