Windows installer not working for webcams

galegge 17:15 04 Dec 2008

Hi,

I am trying to install a new and cheap webcam just to use to chat to my wee niece.

When I try to install the driver the Windows Installer program works fine up to the point where it asks about the location to install (C:\Program files....).

It then goes off and does some copying and some bakground things before the window then minimises onto the Windows Toolbar at the bottom.

It just stays there and does nothing. The only options I get for this window is ABOUT and MOVE. The move option doesnt appear to do anything, so I am forced to close the window which hasnt completed the task.

This also happened with the webcam I had before (a V-Tec I think). I also downloaded that driver from their website and it did exactly the same thing, with Windows Installer.

I gave that webcam to my sister and it installed on her pc with no problem at all.

Both her PC and my laptop are running XP prof.

The new webcam I just bought is a cheap one from Asda, called a Smart Price model CP-68L.

If I just plug the webcam into a USB port windows looks for a driver for CIF Single Chip, which it cant find on the CD, in Windows or online.

Can someone please let me know whats going on with the window minimising or how I can get hold of just the driver without having to use windows installer ?

Many thanks, George.

galegge 17:16 04 Dec 2008

I forgot to mention that Windows Installer works fine in all other instances.

Technotiger 17:38 04 Dec 2008

I don't think the problem is with the webcam(s), more likely to be within the laptop. Try installing click here see if that makes any differencce.

Stuartli 17:48 04 Dec 2008

As the webcam is most likely a USB model, you should install the drivers and software before connecting the webcam.

chub_tor 17:53 04 Dec 2008

If you Google CIF Single Chip Driver you will find plenty of sites to download it from.

galegge 18:41 04 Dec 2008

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

Technotiger, I tend to agree that the problem is most likely with the laptop.

With the Codecpack installed, do u think this will solve the Windows Installer window problem, or will it have a generic driver for the webcam, or have I missed something totally different instead ?

Stuartli, I did try to install the driver and software first, thats where I got the problem with Windows Installer not finishing properly. I just thought the XP might have a suitable driver for it anyway.

Chub_tor, I have had a look around for the driver, but none are for the particular model I have. I did try one in the hope that it would work, but it didnt. Is there something more specific I should be looking for that will work with the webcam I have ?

Thanks, George.

Technotiger 18:45 04 Dec 2008

My thought was, that perhaps the Installer is looking for something from the Codec pack?? Only guessing though!

galegge 18:50 04 Dec 2008

Ok cool, I will give it a go and let u know, Thanks.

galegge 19:03 04 Dec 2008

Ok, I installed the codec pack and tried to reinstall the drivers and get the same problem with Windows Installer.

Can I override the Installshield on the CD and use something else to install the diver, or any other ideas what could be wrong and how to fix it ?

Should I get in touch with Installshield ?

Thanks, George.

Technotiger 19:13 04 Dec 2008

I too have been doing a bit of Googling, but got nowhere with it.

In view of all the above, If it were me, I would cut my losses and buy a better webcam!

galegge 19:21 04 Dec 2008

Ok, I will see if I can find someone who has a better webcam and see if I can get that installed first.

I will also see if Installshield have any solutions.

They did have one problem listed where the install hangs at around 99%, but the solution for that didnt help me out.

Thanks, George.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?