Windows Installer not working please help

erkmatrix 10:34 13 Jul 2004

Hi I'm having problems with Windows installer on my XP home PC, everytime I try and install this program from a cdrom I put the disk in and it comes up with windows installer preparing to install then "The installation
package could not be opened, contact the application vendor to
verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

Is there anything I can do, I think its something to do with my windows installer as I've had the guy send me two copies of the disk and both times it didn't work.

Is there anywhere I can download windows installer again or another program that could help.

Phil

AndySD 11:05 13 Jul 2004

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

erkmatrix 11:32 13 Jul 2004

Just tryed it but no it still won't accept the windows installer program and says the same thing.

Very frustrating as I've paid £120 for this software.

VoG II 11:54 13 Jul 2004
  Stuartli 13:09 13 Jul 2004

You probably need to install InstMsiW.exe (2.0.2600.2) from the Microsoft website (it's Windows Installer Version 2.0).

erkmatrix 13:44 13 Jul 2004

Hi guys problem solved, must be something up with my dvd drive as I've just tryed it on my cdrom drive and it has installed so I'm very relieved.

Thanks for the help.
Phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?