Windows installer not working

taandca 12:09 18 Oct 2008

Can't install any downloads etc. as the windows installer says it has a problem. Any help welcomed

provider 2 12:34 18 Oct 2008

This could be caused by a number of things including some sort of malware. Have you tried running your anti-spyware, anti-malware programs and anti-virus?

Failing that here`s what Ms Community Solutions has to say about it: click here

taandca 18:48 19 Oct 2008

Thanks for your help. Just as you suggested in your link, the problem seems to have been caused by a failed download of Windows service pack 3.
I uninstalled the service pack 3 and it seems to have solved the problem of the Windows installer not working. Now I need to know if I should try and download it again, and what the consequences are of not installing service pack 3. Any thoughts?

provider 2 23:48 19 Oct 2008

XP SP 3 is an important security update and installing it, I would say, is not something to miss out on.

For most users the installation will go without problems but for others there can be difficulties especially if the anti-virus has not been temporarily disabled, the system is AMD based (and has an AMD processor), and/or all open programs have not been exited. There can be a problem with insufficient disc space also.

All of these are covered in some detail if you type XP SP 3 in the site search forum box above.
As a guess, I would say you have an AV that isn`t permitting Windows Installer to change the files that SP 3 has to change ... Norton is known to do this and there is a fix available, but there are probably others that do the same thing.

Have a look at the links given in search forum and these:

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?