Windows Installer and msiexec.exe

Antz 22:18 01 Oct 2007

I have a reccurring problem that is making my PC increasingly unstable. Before I continue I want to let you know that I have searched other posts on this forum and have noted the relevant info........

Whenever I try to install a program that requires Windows installer my PC hangs followed by a report detailing a windows installer crash and the usual XP blurb about contacting Microsoft. Sometimes it tells me that there is another instance of the installer running and when I check task manager I do indeed find several instances of msiexec.exe running ( all using a decent amount of system resources).

I have tried ruuning 'scannow.exe' with the XP installation disc.... no resolution.

The only thing I can think of is a recent installation of OFFICE 2007 may have something to do with my problem as I have retained Outlook 2003 ( not on student edition of 2007) but I cannot be sure. Any help would really be appreciated as I am trying to install some stdy software and a complete re-install may be on the horizon ( this I don't even want to think about)

brundle 22:28 01 Oct 2007

Do you know if you have the most recent version of msiexec? Start menu/run, type msiexec, press return

Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4000.1823

on this machine

Antz 22:47 01 Oct 2007

Yes I have, as part of regular updates

skidzy 22:54 01 Oct 2007

not sure if this relevant,but my Vista says
Windows ® Installer. V 4.00.6000.0

Does Vista use a different version ?
Just curious as im looking through the room.

brundle 22:56 01 Oct 2007

At least one application in Office 2007 causes problems if installed with 2003, sorry but I can't recall which one, it was detailed in a post in this forum - you did a custom installation of Office 2007 omitting Outlook? It may be a pain, but remove your Office 2007 installation and see if the problems continue - put 2003 back if need be, or use OpenOffice just to tide you over while troubleshooting click here

brundle 22:59 01 Oct 2007

Yes that might be an issue. I'm not surprised that Vista uses an updated version (using XP right now).

skidzy 23:07 01 Oct 2007

Will be on the xp machines tomorrow and will check them out,cheers Brundle.

skidzy 22:18 02 Oct 2007

Obviously Vista does use a different installer Brundle,as all xp machines here have Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4000.1823 installed.

Sorry Antz,do not mean to hijack your thread,just that ive found something else out about Vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone