Windows installer error - may be running safe mode

Loracthims 18:11 13 Nov 2006

Hi there

I'm using a Dell Inspiron notebook with MS XP. Encountering trouble installing some programs. Record Now came installed on my laptop (about 2 years ago) - suddenly not working - get error message. However, on trying to uninstall/reinstall Record Now, I'm getting a message saying there's an error with Windows Installer and that it could have been incorrectly installed or I could be running in safe mode, in which case it won't operate.

Firstly I don't know how to turn safe mode on or off, but don't think I'm in safe mode. Can you advise on how I check this?

Secondly, is there any way of fixing my Installer without wiping everything off my hard drive and reinstalling - I've had serious, tearful hassle with this on my other computer (rubbish rotten Fujitsu Siemens PC with Windows Me) and that would be a complete last resort for me. I have all the discs but nothing specifically mentions Installer on the front and I'm horrified at thought of overwriting things and destroying my otherwise nicely operating system completely.

It might be that I'm looking for a miracle here but any basic, technophobe-friendly advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Carol

VoG II 18:15 13 Nov 2006

If you were in Safe Mode, 'Safe Mode' would be displayed at each corner of the screen.

Try the latest Windows Installer click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone