Windows Installer dilemma

firegamp 22:19 04 Jul 2010

I am being plagued by a non-working Windows Installer programme. Every so often it puts up a Window saying Preparing to Install and the hourglass stays there forever. If I cancel the thing, it says Cancelling, then THAT window won't go away and I have to use Control Alt Delete. It used to happen when I started up Windows Explorer, then it didn't like Copernicus Desktop Search and the latest outbreak was when I tried to update Adobe Reader -- I never did manage that because the update failed. Adobe blamed the failure of its own updater to access Windows Installer. Please...is there a fix? firegamp

Strawballs 22:35 04 Jul 2010

Go to windows update and see if you can download and install the latest windows intaller

michaelw 09:10 05 Jul 2010

I had a problem with windows installer so I installed version 4.5 (latest), then rebooted then installed again. You have to install it twice for some reason.

iscanut 21:22 05 Jul 2010

Have a look here click here

iscanut 21:23 05 Jul 2010

I should have said look here ...click here

firegamp 10:05 16 Jul 2010

Thanks to Strawballs, michaelw, iscanut - and anybody else who knows me! The Installer problem is no longer. I installed update twice and it seemed to work, until the damned window returned. Flailing about, I uninstalled Copernic. That was the answer. Thanks anyway...I have an update of Installer which I wouldn't have thought of if I hadn't had the problem in the first place. Dare I try Copernic again? firegamp

iscanut 13:23 16 Jul 2010

Dont bother with Copernicus, there are many other search engines to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?