Windows Installer attempting to load programme.

Granny. 13:55 16 Nov 2008

At start up I keep getting a Windows Installer box trying to load a programme called PhotoGallery.
Then I get a box saying it failed and that I shoud enter a CD. (which I don`t have?)

This has only happened recently after I had problems getting on-line, and had to phone my ISP to get that problem sorted out.

I`ve always had great advice on here, so please can I ask for some again.
(But in as simple language as possible please!!!)

howard64 14:00 16 Nov 2008

try looking in msconfig. Start - run - type msconfig and press enter. When it opens go to the top right hand side and click on the startup tab. When this opens go down the list and see if you can identify photogallery. If you can take the tick out of the left hand end box. Restart the pc and you will get a box open - put a tick in the left hand side box and ok. With luck the message will not appear again.

MAJ 14:03 16 Nov 2008

Go to Start > Run, type in:

msconfig

and click OK. Then click the Startup tab, and see if there is anything in there relating to the problem program, if there is, untick it's entry, click Apply and OK to exit, then restart your computer, see if it helps. Also check your Startup folder for mention of the same program, if it's in that folder, delete the entry. The startup folder is usually at (in XP) C:\Documents and Settings\<your_user_name>\Start Menu\Programs

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:15 16 Nov 2008

* Open the Group Policy Editor by selecting Run from the Start Menu, and typing gpedit.msc. (If the file is missing, run mmc.exe instead. Then, select Add/Remove Snap-in from the Console menu, click Add, and double-click Group Policy. Click Finish, then Close, then Ok.)
* Expand the following branches:
Local Computer Policy \ Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Installer
* Double-click Disable Windows Installer to your right, click Enabled, and choose Always from the list. Click Ok when you're done.
* The change will take effect immediately. If you added a snap in, as described above, you don't need to "save changes to the console."

* Note: If you encounter an error about the Administrator Policy the next time you try to install an application, you'll have to re-enable the Windows Installer temporarily.

Granny. 17:22 16 Nov 2008

Very many thanks. xxx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone