Windows Installer 3.1 Problem

Gonegolfing 13:09 17 Feb 2006

I am runnnig Windows XP Pro SP2. I was having a lot of problems with screen fonts not showing up as sharp as they should. Decided to do a XP install/repair which went fine. Then found however that Windows Installer 3.1 which is the first update that Windows Update wanted to install, would not install and gave insatll failed message. It then wnated me to rebott which I did and after rebooting the windows auto-update started with the same result. Consequently I cannot get any of the updates from windows that I need to install in order to get my system back up to date. Have now recovered my system using a Ghost image which I made before trying to repair Windos.

Anyone any idea as to why Windows Installer 3.1 won't install?

Thanks............. Peter

VoG II 13:12 17 Feb 2006

Try installing from click here

Gonegolfing 13:21 17 Feb 2006

Hi Vog, thanks for the response. I tried that and I also spent an age on the phone with MS Support. Needless to say they hadn't a clue what to do or (what I was talking about)!!!!

terryf 02:41 18 Feb 2006

I had a similar prob, used MSFix from M'Soft but this although supposed to didn't fix, ended up doing Clean instal because Repair instal didn't fix problem either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)