windows installed/not installed

aboutit 16:11 22 Jan 2008

can anyone explain this to me? I have a sony vaio vgc-m1 with recovery disc. If I try to reinstall from this disc everything goes ok until it gets to the part windows set up. My machine restarts with error mnessage and if i go to last known good i get the message windows/system32/config is missing or corrupt I try to repair from the XP disc but I still get the same message. If I then just reformat from the XP Disc and not sony recovery disc windows installs without any problems.,but then I don`t have the sony utilities as these are on the recovery disc which gives the same message again system32./config corrupt.Can anyone suggest a way around this

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:33 22 Jan 2008

On the recovery disc how are the device drivers laocetd, are the in a seperate folder?

If you explore the disc what files and folders are shown?

aboutit 16:37 22 Jan 2008

as soon as you put the recovery disc in your machine it starts the recovery procedure

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 22 Jan 2008

when you put the cd in the drive hold down the shift key, this will stop the CD from autorunning , you should then beable to use explorer to see what files are on the CD.

aboutit 17:22 22 Jan 2008

Thankyou the folders are documentation/1386/RCD CSTM/sony support and value add

aboutit 18:02 22 Jan 2008

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 22 Jan 2008

I386 is the windows files folder

Have a look for an Install.txt file in the RCD CSTM folder, this folder may contain all your Vaio drivers.

What's in the sony support folder? probably the sony utilies, you may be able to install them from there

aboutit 19:41 22 Jan 2008

The folder RCD STM is a one driver only folder which when i click nothing happens.Sony support folder contains al .dlls and dynamic link etc. The files i think i need are listed as sony i01/2/3 etc but i can`t open them.When i click on them i`m asked which programm i want to use to open the file. I have tried the applications disc in the computer but it will still not run and this also has these files in it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:52 22 Jan 2008

Do you have a file Sonyinstal.exe this is need to open the sony io1 image files

aboutit 14:40 23 Jan 2008

looked everywhere and no sonyinstal.exe, no exe anywhere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017