Windows Install wont boot, how can I fix it?

spirojunk 16:33 04 Mar 2007

I have a perfectly fine install of Windows XP on my computer, but I can't currently access it. I installed Ubuntu Linux on a separate hard drive of the same computer which I think messed around with the Boot settings. If I removed the Linux Drive, Windows wouldn't boot, saying that NTLDR was missing.

I put my Windows disc in and deleted the Linux Partition from the Windows Install menu, but that didn't solve anything. I've also tried going into the Recovery Console, but I don't really know what I'm doing in there. The recovery console does recognise the install that I want to get working though.

I am currently using another install of XP on a third hard drive, which boots ok. Ultimately what I want to do is take out the hard drive which had Linux on (I don't need it) and get my most recent and best XP install booting up properly.

Can anyone help? I would be most grateful.

Boot from the Windows CD and enter the recoery console and type 'fixmbr'

spirojunk 17:28 04 Mar 2007

It says that it could damage my partition tables, and not to go through with it if my drive is accessible, which it is. I don't wanna lose all my data.

Is there a less risky way?

I think there might be a way of fixing it by going to the control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery settings. I don't have XP to see what is there but perhaps another member can advise?

If not, my advice would be to back up any important files to the other hard drive (just incase) and then do the fixmbr command. I've used it several times in the past and never had a problem.

lotvic 00:13 05 Mar 2007

click here NTLDR boot disk you can download might help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:45 05 Mar 2007

NTLDR Missing click here

If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?