windows install problems

chippy+ 11:34 18 Oct 2007

hi can anyone help i am trying to install wxp home sp2 on my pc my pc went to a crawl after installing spybot stop and destroy previous pos iuninstalle it it was still the same1/tried system restore did not work 2/tried acronis but the usb drive did not show 3/tried wxphome disk the one used for original setup seamed to install drivers but hung at blue sceen wth windows setup at top corner windows is starting up at boom corner then stopped i have also tried with the 6 floppies gto to no 2errorfile \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded thanks Chippy

Diemmess 12:31 18 Oct 2007

Perhaps to start the ball rolling.........
You say Acronis did not see the External HD?

If you have a full system Acronis backup on your External HD, (otherwise no hope here) you must boot with Acronis CD in the slot!

Then you should be able to see the backup and restore your unhappy C: drive

chippy+ 13:58 18 Oct 2007

Hi Diemmess first sorry about the spelling i think i have sticky keys i opened up the pc and changed the 2 memory strips round put the pc back on and got windows back but it is so slow it still shows 768 of memory also i see there is 4 capsitors blown which i new about but it was still working also could you help this is my boot loader and i think it has changed ? can you help
thanks Chippy

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Diemmess 18:04 18 Oct 2007

I'm afraid I'm no expert whatsoever.
I hope one will come into this thread.

From my point of view your story gets worse.
4 blown capacitors! They must have some influence on the problem. If they have blown then it is time to think of a new mobo (if thats where you found them.)

Meanwhile it is damage limitation.
Have you tried your system backup file with Acronis, this time booting with the Acronis disk?
This will allow you to access the HDs, internal and external, without running Windows which is clearly in a dire state.

In fact if there is precious data on there it is time to rescue it to the ext. HD or even using another computer, pop your old HD into the external case while you copy from it to CDs or some other safer place.

chippy+ 19:27 18 Oct 2007

Hi Diemmess I did know before about the capacitors
I found out when i was having problems fitting a graphics I seen them when I opened the case but the pc shop I use said it could last for a while or could just go at anytime.the pc was going great until i loaded the latest spybot search /destroy it was causing the pc to come to a halt so i uninstalled it and that is when the trouble started, the pc is back to normal I can get acronis backups ok. I bought a am2 asrock motherboard and amd 4200 dual core before the trouble with the present one and was waiting untill i had all the hardwareI also have a pc with with a foxcon /amd 4200 thanks for your help Chippy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:43 18 Oct 2007

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

IS looking for XP home on the first partition on the master drive on the primary IDE channel.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:44 18 Oct 2007

a) Hard drives / IDE Channels:

i) Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO.
Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab -
If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at click here to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

ii) If you are using Windows XP, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?