Windows install problems

rosko999 15:24 30 Mar 2004

Following numerous Windows XP(home) error messages (which Microsoft informed me were due to a virus infection) I decided to reformat the hard drive and reload Windows XP.

The XP disc is booted from the CD drive and I deleted and re-installed the active partition, and formatted the drive.

After the Windows files have been copied the system performs a restart. When the the system hangs and fails to restart.

I have tried reloading Windows XP again (with, and without, reformatting the hard drive) but I still get the same result.

I've also tried loading Windows 98, but when the system restarts (after loading the files) the system again fails to restart. If the system is then powered off & on Windows 98 loads but requests the Windows 98 CD, as numerous DLL files are missing and the DLL files are not found even with the Windows 98 CD loaded.

Running SCANDISK (including a surface scan) on the hard drive shows no errors.

NB: There are no BIOS upgrades available on the manufacturers (Compaq) website.

Can anyone help me please?

AL D. 16:34 30 Mar 2004

hope you dont mind me asking,but is it a genuine copy of xp or is it clean and unscratched.

rosko999 16:49 30 Mar 2004

AL D, no I don't mind you asking, i have tried two copies of XP (i always make a copy of the original in case of damage) and one original disk.
The windows98 disk was original.

Are you implying that copies don't work?

dth 17:28 30 Mar 2004

No copies do work fine (do the same myself).

What ram have you in your p/c? The reason I ask is that I have recently had similiar problems re-installing Windows ME on a P/C. I changed nearly everything on the P/C to try and find the cause of the problem and eventually discovered that one of my ram sticks was faulty.

If you have two ram chips it might be worth trying them separately.

rosko999 12:05 31 Mar 2004

System indicates it has 128mb ram. I'll open it up and check to see if it's in two chips.
I'll get back in touch after I've done this.

rosko999 13:18 04 May 2004

Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been unwell.
The PC in question was taken to a local PC store for them to restore the operating system. I don't know their exact solution, but no parts were required!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?