Windows Install freezing 'Registering Components'

collie_man 21:58 31 Mar 2007

Ok, I'm here again. I seem to suddenly need lots of PC help that friends cannot provide !

After trying to clean up old programs/files from my computer last night I severely damaged it by accidentally removing a whole load of files I needed.

I have been trying to install Windows all day.
The first couple of times we were trying to install over the previous version whilst keeping my files intact.

At the 'Registering Components' stage with 13 minutes remaining, it seems to freeze. I received an error or warning relating to Windows Media Player. Saying that System Restore was disabled on my system but allowed me to carry on, which I did and the installation seemed to continue but after about an hour still hadn't changed.
The egg timer pops up occasionally and the progress squares in the bottom corner continue to 'scroll'.

I then backed up neccessary files to another PC and decided to re-format the drive and start afresh. After the format, installation started again yet I still received the same message and although the machine still seems to be running and processing, there is no further progress.

I have found a few other threads around the internet with similar problems but can't find any help or solutions.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Callum.

collie_man 22:37 31 Mar 2007

Fixed !

Left it even longer, suddenly jumped back into life.

Callum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017