"Windows has blocked this software......

Dirty Dick 15:36 05 Aug 2007

... because it can't verify the publisher" is the dialogue that pops up. I have designed a website for a friend, and one one page I have installed an "animated marquee". I used to run Windows XP, but have just upgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate. There was no problem when I was running XP.

When I open this page on the website, the info bar at the top opens asking for me to install "Active X", I click on the bar to accept, but another dialogue box pops up, "Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher" amd the only option is to click ok, and I can't get the webpage to show all the content. I think there must be something in the IE tools, and internet otions, but I can't seem to work it out. Any ideas please

DD

Technotiger 15:37 05 Aug 2007

You could try reducing your Security settings in IE.

Dirty Dick 15:41 05 Aug 2007

Thanx for a prompt reply. How do I go about reducing the security settings, and would that compromise my PC

DD

Dirty Dick 15:44 05 Aug 2007

I have just been into IE Tool>Internet Option > Security and the setting on the slider is at the bottom, showing medium and it says along side that "Unsigned active x will not be downloaded"

Technotiger 15:49 05 Aug 2007

Move the slider down to low. No it should not be detrimental to your pc. Check the settings on each of the four options under Security. You can always reset them to default just as easily.

Dirty Dick 16:21 05 Aug 2007

I have taken all the four sliders as low as they will go and still cant access the full webpage. Another dailogue box pos up "User Account Control" saying that Windows needs permission to continue, I press ok, then the other dialogue box pos up saying that "Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher" Could it be anything to do with account types, although I am set as an Administartor. Any other ideas please

Technotiger 16:30 05 Aug 2007

Sorry, I have only just realised you are using Vista so I am not so sure how to advise you - though I do know it is possible (though not recommended) to turn off User Account Control in Vista.

Technotiger 16:31 05 Aug 2007

I think the 'not recommended' bit is just Microsoft being bossy!

Dirty Dick 16:44 05 Aug 2007

I have tried turning off the User Account Control, but still can't get to download the Active X to make the website run.

Technotiger 16:53 05 Aug 2007

Hmm, only other thing I can suggest is - possibly you could manage without the animation which appears to be causing the problem.

Or - hope that someone else more knowledgeable than me, can assist.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?