windows hangs at splash screen

quakergirl 12:31 24 Aug 2007

Hi guys

I've just been handed my son's pc which is running windows xp pro. However he bought it second hand, doesn't have windows disk (I think it was probably originally preloaded - its an e machines- and the windows product key sticker is on the back of the machine) and I don't think he does ANY maintenance.

The problem is windows won't boot up, it just hangs at the splash screen. I can get the PC to work using a live Knoppix CD and I can see all the files, so presumably hardware isn't a problem.I can get into Recovery Console using another windows CD, but I'm not sure where to start with it.

I was also wondering if it would work doing a repair reinstall with my windows cd.

Taff™ 08:38 25 Aug 2007

You will need an XP Pro CD to do it and I suggest you back up all the data first. click here for full instructions.

Note: You do not use Recovery Console!!!!

Before you start however, can you get into safe mode or do you have the option at start up to get to a factory reinstall?

quakergirl 09:43 25 Aug 2007

Thanks for your response Taff.

I think we're probably stuffed then, as we don't have an xp pro disk. Fortunately I'd already backed up the data using Knoppix - always my first response when there seems to be a major problem on the way - so I think I'll just format the drive and reinstall with my own windows cd.

Thanks for your help anyway.

wee eddie 10:21 25 Aug 2007

As you appear to have all the Details it might be worth ringing e-Machines, so that you can reinstate to Factory Settings

Taff™ 10:25 25 Aug 2007

Check the sticker on the machine - is the license key for XP Home or Pro. If it is Pro and you use your XP Home disk (OEM I presume) the license key on the machine will be rejected. If you enter your CD Key you won`t be able to register Windows because it is already in use on your computer with a totally different configuration. The only option is therefore to borrow an XP Pro Disk and use the original license key.

quakergirl 11:29 25 Aug 2007

Just checked the window sticker and it seems the PC was originally installed with ME, although it now has xp! My son did buy it cheap from a mate, so I suppose he's ended up with what he paid for. Maybe time for a new PC........

Taff™ 11:37 25 Aug 2007

Sounds like it. The PC is at least 6 years old and probably has a ripped off copy of Pro on it. Your only other option is to borrow an ME disk and reinstall ME however it was never a great operating system anyway!

wee eddie 12:46 25 Aug 2007

It is probably grossly underspecified for XP Pro.

If you are only wanting a working PC, it will probably go OK with Linux

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires