Windows genuine Validation Tool

frostysnowman 11:46 08 May 2008

Regarding Windows Updates, I have my PC set at 'Notify me but don't automatically download or install them'. Yesterday the notification balloon came up stating that there were Windows Updates available. This showed Windows Service Pack 3. I wanted to see the progress of this download so I went to the Windows Update site to download the Service Pack.
Here a security warning came up for the installation of an ActiveX (Microsoft Windows Component Publisher). On installing this ActiveX and pressing the 'Express' install button for the updates another screen came up stating
'To use this latest version of Windows Update you will need to upgrade some of the components. This version provides you with the following enhancements to outr service'. Under this were various stated enhancements.
On pressing the download button for the upgrade the following update was downloaded and installed.
(KB892130) Windows Genuine Validation Tool.
could anybody advise me what this is as I have always had Windows Updates without seeing this before. Thanks for any advice.

VoG II 11:48 08 May 2008
  Technotiger 11:49 08 May 2008

Nothing to worry about, just Bill making sure yours is genuine - I also have it on my PC.

frostysnowman 11:58 08 May 2008

Thanks for your very quck replies. Did this install because I visited the Microsoft Windows Update site instead of just receiving the updates through the notification service?

Technotiger 12:01 08 May 2008

Well I for one, have no idea, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

hiwatt 12:14 08 May 2008

Yes.The same thing happened to me yesterday when I went to the windows updates.

Switcher 12:36 08 May 2008

I update via the he notification service. As well as SP3, WGA was notified. I unticked WGA on principle and as result XP3 was not installed.

Switcher 12:36 08 May 2008

OOPS for Xp3 read SP3

frostysnowman 15:29 08 May 2008

Thanks again for the replies.
When I received the notification of SP3 there wasn't any WGA notification, it was only when I visited the Update site that WGA appeared, but after reading the advice given my mind is now at rest. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?