Windows Genuine Advantage tool.

Daibus 10:11 05 Jul 2006

What is the forum`s latest thinking on the Windows Genuine Advantage tool(WGA).

Although I have it installed on my Dell PC and everything has been fine I would be interested to know of any problems that have generally been encountered and also if it`s possible to delete the software if you feel that your privacy has been invaded?

johnnyrocker 10:14 05 Jul 2006

as i understand it it can not be removed.

johnny.

mattyc_92 10:18 05 Jul 2006

There is a program called "RemoveWGA" which is about 10kb and will remove all the files from your system
I have used this tool, as it kept slowing my internet connection down.

Sorry, but I haven't got the link anymore... You should be able to find it from the "Google" search engine (or look through the "News" section of PCA, as it is there somewhere) ;-)

mattyc_92 10:27 05 Jul 2006

PC Advisor's News Artical - click here

vinnyT 10:27 05 Jul 2006

You can get RemoveWGA from click here, please read the info, esp. the known issues (down the page), you use this at your own risk.

I don't know if it works or if it has any ill effects as a result of its use, as I haven't used it.

Hope this helps.

billyliv 11:30 05 Jul 2006

The daily check can be blocked in Zone Alarm. Cheers, Bill.L.

Daibus 11:33 05 Jul 2006

Thanks for all your replies and yes I also read that WGA phoning home can be blocked via Zone Alarm - very handy!

rodriguez 11:56 05 Jul 2006

RemoveWGA is better than the method I used before I knew that RemoveWGA existed - I used to end processes, delete files and delete registry entries manually. Whoever made this program to do it automatically is a genius :-D

Daibus 18:31 05 Jul 2006

An important point emphasised is that if Security Update KB 905474 has been installed it is apparently not possible to delete WGA using the removal tool and Microsoft, plus other sources also add that delete should not be tried in this case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone