Windows freezing after reinstall

taffy101 13:20 24 Apr 2008

I have just reinstalled XP on a friend's Compaq computer after it had been running very slow. We had tried to use the recovery partition but for some reason this wouldn't work, so we tried a recovery from the recovery disc he had made. This seemed to run properly until near the end when it seemed to have got into a loop and was installing the same files over and over again. In the end we had to stop it. We reinstalled XP from my own disc. At the start of setup we noticed that 130 GB of the hard drive were unpartitioned. The C partition was 3.8 GB in size (we later found this contained some Windows files) and the D recovery partition took about 20GB if I recall. The remaining 130 GB was not partitioned and this was where we installed XP. I recall reading somewhere that a computer had to boot to C drive. This may have been on the PC Advisor forums but I cannot find it now. This cannot be true as the PC ran fine for a while, booting to the new Windows on H drive, but I would like to know if this is desirable as will some programs expect to install to C drive? We ran windows updates and all seemed fine, until my friend started installing his programs. Now the machine will frequently freeze up or close down with the blue screen and messages such as 'Windows has encountered a fatal error and must close down'. Does anyone know if this is linked to the odd drive order?

bluto1 18:47 24 Apr 2008

^^

Kawacan 19:27 24 Apr 2008

He must have installed a program that is not compatible with your os, or you have files in the windows registry that needs to be cleaned, try to use a registry cleaner like <a href="click here" target="_blank">regcure registry cleaner</a> to look for errors...

Kawacan 19:28 24 Apr 2008

He must have installed a program that is not compatible with your os, or you have files in the windows registry that needs to be cleaned, try to use a registry cleaner like [URL="click here"]regcure registry cleaner[/URL]

taffy101 22:13 24 Apr 2008

My friend had only installed a few programs which he had had on the computer before our reinstall. I've spoken with another friend who is more up on computers than me, and he thinks the computer is trying to run the swap file on C drive and because this is too small, this is causing the problems. I think we will go with his suggestion of wiping all the partitions and starting again. I was curious however as to whether the computer could have run normally from the H partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?