Windows freeze-up

kuriocity 11:46 02 Mar 2006

Recently my screen has started freezing half way or so through writing emails especially and Ctrl-Alt-Delete won't shut down computer. I have to switch it off at mains and it then scandiscs and starts over having lost whatever I was working on. Sometimes when I log on I get a message telling me that I have either used wrong password or logged on to different browser. Usual one is Internet explorer. Any ideas please. Also sometimes wheen typing message I then look at screen to find that the last few words haven't been typed on screen. Are the two related somehow. Thanks in advance.

remind 13:49 02 Mar 2006

More info needed, what version of Windows, what antivirus software, do you run anti-spyware software/scanners?

kuriocity 17:38 07 Mar 2006

Dear Remind, 98Se AVG full paid for. couldn't respond sooner as kept freezing up. thanks.

remind 17:44 07 Mar 2006

first thing is to check for spyware
spybot, click here
update (try different servers if you get checksum errors), immunize, scan

adaware - click here
update and scan

spywareblaster - click here
install, update, enable all protection (adds a blacklist of unwanted sites/addons to internet explorer and blocks them)

remind 17:46 07 Mar 2006

download spybot on it's own and run it in safe mode first if lockups are making it difficult to get anything done

remind 17:47 07 Mar 2006

download it first i mean, then the others after spybot's been run in safe mode

skidzy 19:17 07 Mar 2006

If all else fails,you can try this click here
Once downloaded...run in safe mode and goto advanced tools,tick all and repair.

Its the registry optimiser trial version you require.It will only repair 10 errors at any one time,but you can rescan and fix errors as many times as you like.

The added bonus is the extra tools you get and are exactly the same as in the full paid version.

Overall the only difference to the trial version...is the full version will automatically fix all errors not just the 10

remind 21:49 07 Mar 2006

same job for free
98/me/xp regsupreme 30 day trial clears everything until the trial runs out click here
or for 2k/xp only regscrubxp click here
freeware

User-312386 20:09 08 Mar 2006

click on start>shutdown>restart in ms-dos

When in dos type scanreg/fix

After the registry is fixed and if you get a flashing cursor type 'exit' (without the quotes)

kuriocity 23:31 09 Mar 2006

Thanks to you all for the advice which I will go through one at a time. One thing I did do was delete most of the Favourites and that did something to unfreeze for now. I will go through the list you have kindly given me and let you know results. Thanks Again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017