windows firewall will not enable

Bufff 22:10 28 Aug 2006

I am running xp with sp2 and have automatic updates set to on. Windows security centre shows firewall switched off. Have tried to switch on the firewall using windows security centre and control panel. The message i get is 'due to an unidentified problem windows cannot display windows firewall settings'. Is there any way i can re-install the firewall or repair the existing one? Would re-installing sp2 solve this problem?

STREETWORK 22:15 28 Aug 2006

Could be spyware.

Download and run

Spybot Search and Destroy

Post back result

Ray5776 22:16 28 Aug 2006

Think yourself lucky, use something else like Zone Alarm or Kerio.

rdave13 22:21 28 Aug 2006

Try >>start>>run>>services.msc. enter.

Scroll down to Windows Firewall/Internet connections Shareing device. Double click set startup to automatic then start service.

If that doesn't help try a TCP/IP stack repair.

Start>run>cmd and press enter.
netsh winsock reset>>press enter.

Message should read" successfuly reset the winsock catalogue." Reboot.

Ray5776 22:22 28 Aug 2006
  Bufff 20:26 29 Aug 2006

Thanks for the responses. I ran spybot and AD Aware and removed the spyware etc it found but this did not solve the problem with windows firewall. I have adopted the advice given and have installed zone alarm. Thanks for the help.

birdface 22:07 30 Aug 2006

Buff, Are you running Windows One Care, I had the same problem while running it, Could not run Windows firewall,It appears that windows One Care Dissables the use of it,in the control panel,And uses it in One care,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?