Windows Firewall v. Norton Internet Security

Pineman100 15:45 12 Apr 2006

I have used Norton Antivirus and (more recently) Norton Internet Security for many years. But I'm getting a bit fed up with the sheer bulk of their software. I recently bought a new computer (Windows XP Home SP2) - sizzling fast compared with my old one - until I loaded NIS. Now boot-up still takes ages.
So I am considering ditching NIS and instead using the built-in Windows XP firewall, plus a "slimmer" antivirus product. Here are my questions:-
1. Is the Windows firewall as effective as the Norton one?
2. Are there antivirus products as effective as NAV but less "bloated"? Any recommendations?
3. What would you do?
Thanks for any comments.

ventanas 15:56 12 Apr 2006

The best AV without doubt is click here very small footprint and the only one known to find everything. Miles better thatn Norton.

However I still rate the Norton firewall as one of the best. It's not as intrusive as the AV.

pennyben 21:46 12 Apr 2006

If you like a security suite the new Kaspersky IS has just been released and the forums say it is really good. Being Kaspersky it catches just about everything and it is light on resources.

click here

Pineman100 08:12 13 Apr 2006

Thanks for those views. Anyone else got any thoughts?

Andsome 08:37 13 Apr 2006

I fully agree with ventanas regarding Nod 32. If you are in the UK, you can get telephone as well as e-mail support. The people in Bournemouth are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I swear by Zone Alarm FREE firewall.

Pineman100 11:16 13 Apr 2006

Thank you - I suppose I have always been suspicious that freeware will never be as good as a bought product. Is Zonealarm really as effective as Norton Internet Security firewall?

Andsome 08:38 14 Apr 2006

Zone Alarm is an excellent Firewall. Be careful to download the Free version. When setting up and installing, you also have to select Free and not full version. The full paid for version includes an AV program, so you will get conflicts if you run this version with Nod 32. When you first use your computer after installing Zone Alarm, everything which tries to connect to the INTERNET for the first time will set off a warning. Simply put a tick in the box which says 'Remember this action', and then click allow. You won't be bothered again.

Best of luck.

Lettervanman 09:02 14 Apr 2006

Any of us that use Norton are aware of some of the problems that it inflicts on us. I find that it it is not alone in that,to be any good such programmes have to be "deep" in the system,and other antivirus progs. are not without problems.
What do you consider to be a long boot-up?
It will also depend on what else runs at start-up as I am sure you would agree.
I have no "brief" for Norton but also do not find it slows my system. Other friends also claim that it slows their computer,but others that do not have Norton also have poor performance

Mr Mistoffelees 09:33 14 Apr 2006

"Any of us that use Norton are aware of some of the problems that it inflicts on us."

The only problem I have with it is a few seconds added to the boot time. Other than that, it just does what it is supposed to do, unobtrusively and efficiently, with no slowdown. I would recommend it to anyone.

Pineman100 14:30 14 Apr 2006

...for all your comments and contributions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?