Windows firewall shows as off on boot up

Rockstone 10:02 27 Feb 2009

My new XP computer boots up OK except that now the firewall indicates in a balloon that it is Off and to click on balloon. This confirms that it is Off but by the time I get to the Control Panel, it has turned itself On. This now happens every time on boot up.

Graphicool1 10:32 27 Feb 2009

Have you tried just clicking the balloon and waiting to see if it resets itself?

Stuartli 10:44 27 Feb 2009

Do you have another firewall such as ZoneAlarm or Comodo Firewall Pro?

If so, best to stick to that and Disable the XP firewall in the Security Center (correct).

If Security Center is not listed in Start>Programs, type

msconfig

into the Run box>OK>Tools tab>highlight and click on Security Center.

Rockstone 10:58 27 Feb 2009

Yes, it resets itself if I click the balloon but of course I want it to operate automatically. No, I don't have anything else installed except a time limit Avast.

Stuartli 11:28 27 Feb 2009

Avast! is AV - it's only "time limited" in that you initially get a 60 day licence for the Home version.

It's very easy to register for a key that lasts about 14 months and which can be subsequently renewed, but make sure that you state that it is only for home or personal use (i.e. tick the box), otherwise you won't get the registration key by e-mail.

You will have much improved firewall security if you Disable the XP firewall and use Comodo Firewall Pro or ZoneAlarm (both freeware) instead.

Rockstone 08:53 02 Mar 2009

I now have ZoneAlarm installed. Regrettably it still shows as off on boot up. If having booted up I then click the balloon and enable the firewall again. Fine so far. Except that if I go to the control panel and attempt to disable the XP firewall, it throws up the balloon again indicating that the ZoneAlarm has been switched off.

Rockstone 08:53 02 Mar 2009

I now have ZoneAlarm installed. Regrettably it still shows as off on boot up. If having booted up I then click the balloon and enable the firewall again. Fine so far. Except that if I go to the control panel and attempt to disable the XP firewall, it throws up the balloon again indicating that the ZoneAlarm has been switched off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?