Windows Firewall settings

john bunyan 19:17 04 Apr 2012
Answered

Some time ago I switched my desktop (W7) from PCTools firewall to the Windows one. I recently carried out a "restore defaults" on this following some advice. So far it has requested permission for my Belkin router, but on the PC Tools firewall (on laptop) there are other programmes with in/ out permissions. (EG Google toolbar, Media Centre, iTunes updates etc.). I hope that updates to various programmes are not blocked. When I look at the options, many things seem not to be mentioned. Is the default setting ok, or do people have to laboriously "guess" what to allow?

rdave13 19:55 04 Apr 2012

Defaults are OK. If you need more control over apps then consider Sphinx Win7 firewall control free version. I used to use it but since upgrading to SSD and clean install I haven't bothered to re-install it.

rdave13 19:57 04 Apr 2012
Answer

Umm, I should have included the link :)

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

john bunyan 20:15 04 Apr 2012

rdave13

Thanks, yet again, for your advice. Will keep link bookmarked and see how default goes for a while. I do not really know which items to control but I guess I can "allow" them as requested by the firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?