Windows Firewall not working?

Internetwhizzkid 07:13 21 Nov 2006

hi,
ever since today i seem to be getting notified by windows that no firewall is turned on. Now when i go to enable the windows firewall. i get the message

"We're sorry security center can not switch on the windows firewall. try yourself under windows firewall in the control panel"

Fair enough but when i go to do that i get the message

"windows firewall settings cannot be displayed as the associated service is not runninng"
there i click okay to enable it
but i then get the message

"windows firewall cannot run the ics service.

I have no other firewall installed so can someone please tell me how to get it working

Thanks
Ben

dms05 07:38 21 Nov 2006

You'd be better installing one of the many 'free' Firewalls. Windows Firewall is a one way device (it stops incoming only) whereas the 'free' offerings are two way devices stopping incoming and ourgoing threats.

Look at ZoneAlarm click here, Comodo Products click here, . All, and others are better protection.

birdface 08:33 21 Nov 2006

If you have just downloaded Windows One Care, That uses your Windows Firewall,And you tend to get those messages,If not ??

Probabilitydrive 08:52 21 Nov 2006

you need to install (as a matter of urgency) a firewall! first: read this click here

There are nasties out there which are able to turn off your Windows firewall, and you are basically a sitting duck for malware.
Cant overstress enough the importance of a fully funtioning firewall on your system!

billypilgrim 11:41 21 Nov 2006

Try this,

Right Click My Computer, click Manage
Expand Services and Applications, click Services
Right click Windows Firewall/ICS, if it shows its not running click Start.

grizzley 21:46 09 Apr 2007

can somebody be so kind to help me sort out windows firewall one way or another. today i down loaded windows vista advisor to check for vista compatability this failed to work even though i tried 3 times in end i gave up and removed it from my system, since then i have noticed when downloading something from the web on the downloads page of the programme i am downloading to displays a yellow ball which translated into a blocked ip. i checked attempted to acess my windows firewall but was unable to do so, downloads are slow due to this. i got the following message/warning which i am unable to resolve no matter what i try. Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because associated service is not running. do you want to start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing service (ICS). also when i tried to sort the problem i got an error code 1068 the dependancy service or group failed to start. anyone got ideas to fix this or at least help me to remove this from my system so i can get my download speed back to normal. i have ashampoo firewall installed on my system as a backup. any help would be greatfull. thankyou/

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?