Is Windows Firewall enough

2jaycee 20:03 31 Jan 2006

I have Windows Firewall enabled. Is it good enough or do I need to install another one

Stuartli 20:09 31 Jan 2006

Install the free version of ZoneAlarm and Disable the Windows firewall..:-)

click here

2jaycee 20:15 31 Jan 2006

I take it that your consider zone alarm to be superior

VoG II 20:25 31 Jan 2006

ZA blocks inbound and outbound events. Windows Firewall is one way (inbound). This means that it would not detect a trojan trying to 'phone home'.

Stuartli 20:26 31 Jan 2006

For exactly the reason that VoG™ has pointed out.

Mytob 20:31 31 Jan 2006

its better than none at all but would definatly get another because of the poits mentioned above. I wold also consider getting a hardware one aswell as iv found it invaluable. i have had no attacks come up on my software one for over a year.

eqskey 20:38 31 Jan 2006

I have Z/A on one pc and Windows F/w on another.
I prefere the Windows.Zone Alarm will ask you for permission to allow access to various programs etc.However,most users will grant access without knowing who or what they are allowing to enter.Sort of defeats the purpose really in many cases.
In either case ,never had any problems.

2jaycee 19:00 01 Feb 2006

Thanks folks
I will at least have a look at ZA Its interisting that eqskey has ongoing experience of both

ade.h 21:46 01 Feb 2006

Basically, it faces the wrong way. So no, it's rubbish and should be replaced ASAP. Sunbelt Kerio is what you need - the best firewall short of paying for Outpost. The free trial version will automatically switch to the free spec, which is very similar to the paid-for spec. click here
Better than ZoneAlarm.

woodchip 21:52 01 Feb 2006

Windows Firewall a bucket of bolts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?