Windows Firewall

thumbscrew 17:38 24 Jan 2011

Until recently I had Ashampoo free Firewall installed and was very content. However,after a problem on my computer yesterday I was forced to uninstall....intending to reinstall when clear. Unfortunately it wouldn't completely uninstall for some reason and I couldn't remove it despite trying everything I could think of. I then discovered that my machine had frozen so to speak and I couldn't get on line at all. Today I called a computer technician out and he removed it....not without a struggle! I'm up and running now but reluctant to reinstall Ashampoo in case the same thing happens again, or indeed any other Firewall available. On the advice of the Tech I've put Windows Firewall on. He maintains it's adequate and also told me that most threats don't come in that way nowadays. I'd appreciate anyone's opinions.

GaT7 17:47 24 Jan 2011

I've been using Windows own firewall for the last 5 years at least with no problems. G

thumbscrew 17:48 24 Jan 2011

Thanks Crossbow.

john 52 17:59 24 Jan 2011

I was told through this forum that windows firewall is okay if you are on Vista or Windows 7 (as it monitors in and out)but if you have XP use something else .

John Bunyon pointed me to PC tools firewall which is free and it runs in the background very well with no trouble .

thumbscrew 18:05 24 Jan 2011

Thanks John, I'll have a look at PC Tools

birdface 20:16 24 Jan 2011

Best using Revo Uninstaller when removing anything.
That removes all of the product it is always handy to download it and keep it for those programs that are hard to remove.
When using it make sure you delete anything in bold print and leave the rest.

thumbscrew 20:25 24 Jan 2011

Thanks buteman, I did use Revo and even tried the Pro version, but it resisted all their best efforts.

birdface 21:03 24 Jan 2011

I have never had any bother removing anything as long it was on Revo Uninstaller.
My son was having problems with Office 2002 removal last week as it would not delete from add remove.
I downloaded Revo and that removed it.
I have read that some Office products are hard to remove using Add remove but Revo shifted it.
Sometimes you have to install the program again and then try and remove it so not sure if you tried that.

thumbscrew 21:14 24 Jan 2011

Cheers Buteman...I most definitely had trouble removing the program. Ditto my highly skilled Computer Repair Tech who battled with it today. The Firewall.Exe remnant warning that was displayed, resulted in no Internet connection....totally blocked, ergo I couldn't get on line to download and install another version. He left to find an Ashampoo removal tool but there are none for this Firewall. He finally managed to remove it using the download on a Flash Stick and finally I'm back, wiser and £30 lighter.

birdface 21:25 24 Jan 2011

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay.
As long as it is running ok now that's what counts.
Looks like your free Firewall ended up being a little expensive.
I downloaded the free Ashampoo Photo Commander 7 a month or so ago and have never used it so maybe I will think of removing it to be in the safe side.

thumbscrew 21:28 24 Jan 2011

I'm sure the Photo Commander's fine Buteman. Cheers pal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017