windows firewall

wolfman10 18:38 04 Feb 2008

dear friends
an irritating problem keeps occuring on my laptop, it was initally resolved however i am wondering if there is a way stop this form happening nearly every other day. basically my internet stops working and it identifies the problem as a something to do with adjusting the firewall group policy, a friend off here advised switching of the nat on the router and then firewall, then restarting and turning all back on, this does work but every few days it keeps happening just want to see if there is anything to do to stop this full stop. it really is driving me a potty thanks!

brundle 18:42 04 Feb 2008

Instead of restarting; click here

XP Pro?

Start menu/run, type

gpedit.msc

Look under Administrative Templates/Network Connections/Windows Firewall for `configured` entries.

wolfman10 18:44 04 Feb 2008

cheers mate i am using vista does that matter in relation to your reponse?

wolfman10 18:48 04 Feb 2008

sorry should i change my fire wall from windows to say zone alarm??

brundle 18:52 04 Feb 2008

Depends which version of Vista, only Business and Ultimate have Group Policy Editor. You get the error then your internet access fails right?

brundle 18:55 04 Feb 2008

I can't say I know of an answer, a 3rd party firewall ought to get round it if not actually solve it. Not sure how well ZA works with Vista, I don't use it myself but I think I've read of some conflicts lately. Others may be able clarify that...

You could try a system file check; click here

wolfman10 18:55 04 Feb 2008

yes very annoying ! and right again i only have the home version.

wolfman10 18:59 04 Feb 2008

any recommendations for a vista free firewall?? cheers

brundle 19:01 04 Feb 2008

Free one says `not compatible with Vista`, the link after that takes you to a paid-for bundle, click on the firewall and it goes back to the screen you were at in the first place

click here

...."award shattering" firewall apparently...

This one seems to be right; click here

wolfman10 19:01 04 Feb 2008

legend, cheers will give it a whirl now Cheers

wolfman10 19:18 04 Feb 2008

all good seems ok thanks brundle!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?