The Windows Firewall

Ray5776 21:55 05 Aug 2006

I think that the Windows firewall is useless if anyone thinks otherwise let me have your comments.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:59 05 Aug 2006

I have not used a firewall for 3+ years so the question is academic...however, pray may one enquire as to how you have reached this profound conclusion?

G

woodchip 22:01 05 Aug 2006

That just about sums it up. Nothing to add

sean-278262 22:02 05 Aug 2006

Windows firewall gives no control in my opinion over its use. But it is useful for those computer idiots I know to keep them safe from web nasties!

ade.h 22:02 05 Aug 2006

Actually, it is worse than useless. It can cause access problems in a network, it can enable itself at will if Windows sees a need for it (often even when there is a pre-existing 3rd party firewall) and it doesn't work with ICS.

Ray5776 12:39 06 Aug 2006

Gandalf,

I suggest you try using it. It will soon become apparent as to how I reached my profound conclusion.
Seems that I am not alone either:-)

Jak_1 13:49 06 Aug 2006

Windows firewall is fine for stopping hackers etc but if you get a nasty from an infected website then it will not stop anything going out. So worse than useles as it gives a false sense of security. Zonealarm and othes like it are far better.

freaky 13:51 06 Aug 2006

It's better than having nothing, but as ade.h states above, it can cause problems if you have a network.

The Windows firewall only offers one-way protection i.e. it will 'try' to stop intrusions accessing your PC. It will not stop unauthorised transmissions from your PC.

A good firewall offers two-way protection.

GANDALF <|:-)> has stated "I have not used a firewall for 3+ years so the question is academic". A valid point, but personally I would not take the chance.

A good firewall can also be a nuisance at times by sometimes stopping you downloading a patch for a game etc. I have had a number of instances where I have to disable it in order to download !

Ray5776 14:23 06 Aug 2006

freaky,
"It`s better than having nothing"

I think even that is questionable.

SANTOS7 14:38 06 Aug 2006

click here
wealth of info here to help you choose the right one,
covers A/V and Spy/malware...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?