windows files replaced message after norton scan

jonostar 16:43 05 Apr 2005

After running norton scan i have this message "files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognisable versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the origional versions of these files. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-Rom now.
This sounds quite serious and I cannot locate this cd. I think it may well have been inadvertently thrown out with the pc packaging long ago. Can anyone help

billyliv 17:09 05 Apr 2005

Hi, Cant help with the disk but I had to get rid of Norton because it was causing havoc with my machine. The problem was uninstalling Norton, I downloaded a wipe clean program to get rid of the Norton files and then had to go into the registry to remove all the traces. Avast AV. does the job better and is FREE. Cheers, Bill

bertiecharlie 17:30 05 Apr 2005

The message you're getting refers to Windows File Protection. Some information click here's_windows_file_protection.htm

Have a look in your Event Viewer. Start\All Programs\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer. Look under the System section for any Windows File Protection events.

bertiecharlie 17:32 05 Apr 2005

The link didn't work, try click here

jonostar 19:33 05 Apr 2005

I looked in the event log as you suggested, found this, its all greek to me.
The protected system file ntvdmd.dll was not restored to its original, valid version because the Windows File Protection restoration process was cancelled by user interaction, user name is Dave. The file version of the bad file is 5.1.2600.1560.
it occurred during a schedulled norton scan whuich i have only just started doing and will now cancel.
I still do not know or cannot worl out how serious this is. Do you know? Sorry I am a bit of a novice in all this

VoG II 19:36 05 Apr 2005

Start, Run, type in

sfc /scannow

and click OK. Insert your Windows CD if prompted.

This will run the System File Checker click here

bertiecharlie 19:48 05 Apr 2005

Trouble is, johnostar doesn't have the cd.

Chances are you have a copy of this file on your system. If you have SP2, go to C:\Windows\Service Pack Files and see if you can locate a copy there. Failing that go to C:\Windows\System32. On the toolbar at the top click on Tools\Folder Options\View and click on the box to show hidden files and folders. Also uncheck the box which says "hide protected operating system files". You will receive a warning message but just ignore it. In the System32 folder your dllcache folder should appear, see if you have a copy of the file there and post back. (The folder might appear at the bottom of your System32 folder).

There are also sites on the internet where you can get dll files but it's a question of getting the correct version.

bertiecharlie 20:06 05 Apr 2005

I just downloaded the ntvdmd.dll file and it had an older version number than the one you've mentioned. Then I found this click here so it doesn't seem to be an issue which version you have.

jonostar 20:27 05 Apr 2005

looked in service pack files could not find ntvdmd.dll.
looked in system32 found ntvdmd.dll file version 5.1.2600.1560 which i assume is the prob file.
found something called zipfldr.dll at the bottom of system 32 folder, is this the dllcache folder you wrote about.
Again you can tell I am a beginner, thanks for your patience

jonostar 20:35 05 Apr 2005

thanks a lot it would seem I have been worrying unduly.
I think we can call this solved. Cheers

bertiecharlie 20:37 05 Apr 2005

No, the zipfldr.dll isn't the dllcache but I think you are okay anyway. That file version number ...1560 appears to be the latest one and according to the link above it doesn't seem to matter which version of that file you have.

(Remember to reset your Folder Options)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?