Windows Files & Malware Discovery

Legslip 09:33 19 Jan 2010

I read the following on a webpage and it sounds sense:
"Any malware can be named anything - so you should check where the files of the running processes are located on your disk. If a "non-Microsoft" .exe file is located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection! Check it out!

Within Windows there are many application files but there is no indication of the publisher so I can't tell whats Microsoft and what is not. Any solutions? Oh, Vista!!!

Woolwell 10:48 19 Jan 2010

I find that if you run a reputable anti-malware product eg malwarebytes then you don't have to worry about this as it will find rogue processes. I have found that some products give false positives. Then I look up the exe file on the web to see what it may be. These sites often give the warning in your post but the exe file is usually related to a program that I have installed and I am therefore fairly sure that I received a false positive.
I also find that if you do not visit dubious sites and do not click on things that you should not (and I include in that some sites which promise to scan your computer for viruses or registry problems) then you stay free of malware.

Woolwell 10:51 19 Jan 2010

You can also right click on a file and select properties and then on details tab it will give you the copyright.

Sea Urchin 11:20 19 Jan 2010

>> .....that if you do not visit dubious sites and do not click on things that you should not <<

Regrettably those days are gone - the trend now is to hack into any website and infect it. I recently picked up a rogue anti-spyware bug from visiting a highly reputable travel company website. When I phoned them they apologised profusely, and said they were aware of the infection, and were in the process of cleaning up the site. Many thousands of sites are being attacked like this.

Woolwell 11:32 19 Jan 2010

I take your good point.
My anti-virus, Kaspersky, gives a loud warning if I visit an infected site.

Legslip 23:47 25 Jan 2010

Woolwell\Sea Urchin. Thanks for your responses. Think I go along with running Malewarebytes. I have used it for a while now and it certainly does find the dodgy files and clear 'em out. It's a simpler solution than searching around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017