Windows File Transfer Wizard quandary

m800afc 22:19 26 Jul 2010

Windows XP Pro SP3; ASRock 775VM800; Pentium 4; 3GHz; 2Gb RAM
Radion 9700 Pro Radion 9700 Pro (Secondary)
Monitor 1 - BenQ2400W (Landscape) Monitor 2 - BenQ2400W (Portrait)

Following too many problems with my computer, and reading the help offered in this forum, I am asking for help on a clean install of XP Pro.

I have already tried a repair install, and this did not solve the problem.
I read the Microsoft advice to use the Windows File Transfer Wizard, (FTW). I have a problem, and a possible solution.

My OS is on C-drive as are many programs that are installed to C-drive by default. "My Documents" is on D-drive, as are programs that gave me the choice of which drive to install on. The drives are partitions of the same physical drive.
The FTW automatically scans the system and tries to include all items on both partitions. This results in a total amount of data of 285Gb. I do not have this amount of storage available.

What I am thinking of doing:
I have enough space to backup the contents of the D-drive. On a different drive I have enough space to backup the C-drive.
Would the FTW work if I backed up the D-drive, to R-Drive and then removed the the D-Drive partition. I could then use The FTW to save my files and settings to G-drive.
Then I could do a clean install of XP PRO on to the C-Drive, which would be reformatted as a single partition during the installation. I can then recreate a new partition of C-Drive, which will become the new D-drive. The backup on R-Drive could then be restored to D-drive.

Questions
Will this work? Is there a simpler way? Will all the associations between C and D be restored automatically? Will my backups of outlook emails be automatically saved and restored?

Your comments will be much appreciated, as will any hints and tips to make it a simpler process.

Oh, I do not want to change to another OS at the moment.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?