windows file protection

RobLM 21:11 06 Aug 2010

I have just had my PC upgraded by Mesh and now WFP brings up a screen every time I boot asking for my Win XP SP3 disc so that it can copy files required by windows to the dll cache.
Only thing is my original disc is SP2. I borrowed a SP3 disc and tried that but it still comes up.
I cancel it every reboot.
Is there any way of stopping it completely or determining what .dll it is looking for.?

Thanks for any advice

michaelw 09:07 07 Aug 2010

You could try uninstalling sp3 and reinstalling, or just install sp3 over itself.

Chris_Byers 10:19 09 Aug 2010

You could also slipstream the SP3 files into your SP2 disk and create an Windows XP SP3 installation disk There are some great free utilities to do this for you and add some really good automated features such as automatic serial number input and feature selection. The process only requires you have an XP installation disk, the new service pack files and a CD burner. I heartily recommend nLite for this task: click here
It is wizard driven and extreamily easy to use.

Chris_Byers 10:22 09 Aug 2010

I should also add that you can get a version for Vista called vLite so as to allow SP integration with Vista disks and automated installs as well.
Get it here: click here

RobLM 15:47 11 Aug 2010

I downloaded and reinstalled SP3 already so I have the files from Microsoft. I'll try and create a slipstreamed disc but I already borrowed a XP SP3 disc and that didn't get rid of it. Is there a difference?

Is there any way to determine what files it is looking for?

RobLM 17:38 14 Aug 2010

Hi all,
Just made a slipstreamed XP Pro SP3 disc (easy - as promised) and let System File Checker run with it in the cd rom. Window File Protection came up and requested the disc so I clicked the retry option. Allowed it to run its course and it asked for the disc 11 times before ending.
Rebooted and guess what....SFC ran at start up and asked for the disc again.......I just can't get it to stop.
HELP...any other suggestions?
I read that I could copy file I386 to the hard drive and edit the registry so that it would know where to find it, but surely it would just keep going in the background as it isn't finding what its looking for in that file on the disc.?

RobLM 09:57 16 Aug 2010

Any ideas anyone?

birdface 10:15 16 Aug 2010

Not sure if this helps or not.

click here

RobLM 15:31 17 Aug 2010

Thanks for trying - I read through 'click here' and decided to check the registry settings suggested and sure enough they were not as expected. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup
- SourcePath led to a file on the C drive. I redirected it to my XP Pro SP3 disc in the cdrom and away it went. Never asked for the disc again.
I thought BRILL - then re-booted and up came System File Checker again. It takes 40 mins to run if I let it so I just cancel it.
Good try though, thanks

RobLM 15:35 17 Aug 2010

Should have mentioned that I redirected HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SourcePath
to my cdrom as well - as it suggested.

RobLM 09:22 23 Aug 2010

just so that you know, the computer finally crashed. Unable to reinstall from rescue disc so sent it back to mesh to fix properly! hardware problem I think.
Thanks for the help
RobLM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?