Windows File Protection

Press Man 02:06 01 Jan 2006

Can anyone explain why WFP runs every time I start up? I have tried all the "reg tweaks" detailed at click here to no avail. I have run WFP several times, it asks for Win XP Pro SP2 disc, I run XP Home SP2? I delete the dialog box asking for XP Pro SP 2 numerous times, it then changes and asks for XP Home SP2? It takes around an hour to complete the check and nothing is "flagged up" as being changed? Only thing different is that I get a "blue screen" saying 'please wait' when I restart. System Restore 'will not', so at the moment I am "stumped". Thanks in advance for your help.

Skyver 10:06 01 Jan 2006

A couple of options; copy the I386 folder from your XP CD to your system drive, point any requesters there when you get them, also download or decompress SP2 to another folder on the system drive, SP2 for example and point the requesters there if no joy; does WFP tell you which file(s) it's looking for?
SP2 here click here (if you have Winzip, WinRar, 7Zip etc you can right click the .exe and select `Decompress to folder`)

Press Man 23:28 01 Jan 2006

Skyver
No indication of files required? When the "information buton" is clicked in the request for XP cd dialog box it says, "wrong cd inserted" and "DVD drive not functioning" or words to that effect. Already have I386 folder in C:\. There is no option to in WFP to direct to another location or folder?

Press Man 22:31 03 Jan 2006

Skyver
Looked in event viewer and it had several WFP entries which showed files that could not be copied to the dll cache. There are 31 files trying to be copied during SFC /scannow, and they all seem to be in the folder C:\programme files\common files\microsoft shared\web extensions. Haven't a clue how these files went missing or got corrupted, I have tried locating the files to place in the dll cache but has proved to be very time consuming. Day off tomorrow so I think I will do a clean install of everything. I will tick as resolved, as i can only see that a clean install will cure the problem. (early spring clean)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:43 03 Jan 2006

sfc /scannow problems
click here

use this to show how to point WFP to the i386 folder on C:\ drive.

Press Man 22:51 03 Jan 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/Thanks, but have tried there already. (see first post)

Skyver 23:21 03 Jan 2006

That sounds more like an MS Office issue, Frontpage to be more precise. If you have Office try Add/Remove MS Office and select to Install absolutely everything , reboot and see what happens.

Press Man 23:49 03 Jan 2006

Skyver,
I will give it a try. Will get back with results.

Press Man 00:06 04 Jan 2006

Skyver,
No joy, still getting WFP at start up?
Going to bed now, re-install tomorrow.
Many thanks for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?